There’s something about period homes that make them timeless pieces of architecture. With gorgeous federation style homes and classic Victorian homes, Melbourne has its impressive share of period and heritage homes.
Although they are visually charming, the styles and structures cater to a bygone era, which can bring challenges when it comes to renovations or extensions. Nevertheless, period home renovations in Melbourne are still enjoyable and rewarding projects to complete.
Whether you own a period home or are planning to buy one, renovating or extending such a classic home will likely be on the top of your priority list. Although with such a delicate project, challenges will most likely arise hence it’s crucial to hire a custom home builder with experience renovating older homes to help with your period home renovation.
Mass Constructions can help design and build your dream period home extension or renovation. We specialise in designing and building ground floor extensions and second storey extensions across all suburbs in the south east Melbourne region.
Before you plan a period home renovation, it is necessary to identify first the type of period home you own to help you decide which contemporary design elements will complement your original home.
Renovating and Extending Period Homes in South East Melbourne
Knowing the type of period home you own will help you properly plan and execute your house extension. Period homes have different architectural styles, including:
Hampton: Hampton style period homes have wide verandahs in light colours inspired by the traditional New York Hamptons style.
Federation: Traditional Federation style period homes include sunrise architecture, symbolising the dawning of the new century as well as Australian motifs.
Seachange: This type of period style home reflects the obsession of Australians with living near a body of water. Its architecture is characterised by turned posts and fretwork.
Victoriana: Elegant, balanced homes that were heavily influenced by the British Empire were the theme in mid-late 19th century Australia. It was the peak of the Victorian era.
Things to Consider When Renovating a Period Home
Renovating a period property that either – has not been touched and adequately maintained or has been a subject of several revamps through the years can be tricky. Unexpected issues may arise due to the age of the building and the architecture, so being fully prepared is one of the keys to successful period renovations.
Other things that you should look out for include:
- Secure building permits: As with any other kind of renovation, there are necessary permits that you need to acquire before you can start with the renovation process. Consult with your local council regarding the specific guidelines.
- Hire a professional: Unlike regular renovation projects, period homes need to be handled delicately. Mass Constructions can help you create solid design ideas that complement the original structure. Hiring a professional will help you avoid costly mistakes and delays.
- Allot a contingency fund: Older homes can be challenging to work with because it is not uncommon that hidden issues will only arise once the renovation process starts. That’s why it is necessary to allot a budget for unexpected expenses.
Renovation Tips for Heritage Homes
Renovating heritage homes is no easy feat and can often involve a tremendous amount of work, time, and patience. But the results can be very rewarding. To make the whole process a little bit easier, remember to:
- Research thoroughly: Make sure you perform your due diligence. Research everything about the heritage home, including the layout and materials used to build it. This will help with planning as well as anticipating any hidden issues that might occur along the way. It will also give you an idea of the designs that would work best with the type of heritage home you own.
- Try to restore the original elements: As much as possible, try to design a plan that will restore and work around the gorgeous pieces of your period home, as these design intricacies add character and serve as a reminder of the period that it was built.
- Choose the design and materials wisely: Another major challenge with period home renovations is finding the materials and design that will fit them perfectly. Though you can go modern with the design, you’d still need to design a layout that will complement the unique elegance of your period home.
Extension ideas for Victorian Style Homes
Renovating and restoring Victorian style homes is nice but adding an extension is even better, especially if you need more space. It might seem challenging to add an extension to a period style home, but some extension ideas that work well with heritage homes include:
- If you have a semi-detached Victorian style home with some garden space, ground house extensions are best. Build a kitchen extension at the back of the house or extend the living area with a side return extension.
- A second storey extension is also possible. Expanding upwards to add bedrooms will free up some space on the ground level. It’s an opportunity to build additional bathrooms as well.
Period Extensions and Designs
Extension ideas for period homes work best when they compliment the original structure’s design either by designing an extension that fits seamlessly or by creating contrast. Some period extensions and designs you can try include:
- Opt for a modern contrast for a Victorian semi-detached period home: There is more design versatility when it comes to building an extension for a Victorian-style home.
- Oak framed extension to create more space: Wooden double glazed and exposed ceiling beams on ground floor extensions create a country vibe. A perfect setting for a relaxing Sunday brunch.
- Indoor-outdoor connection: A glazed design period extension allows an abundant amount of natural light to enter the space and adds a modern twist to a traditional home.
- Use a second storey extension to give your period home a makeover: Second storey extensions give period style homes the chance to have a refreshed look. Build a second storey extension that will highlight the architectural features of your period home.
Period Home Extensions in South East Melbourne
Elevate your period home with a home extension. Period home extensions can transform your house into a property perfect for modern-day living. Some of the popular period home extensions in Melbourne include:
- Rear and side period extensions: Most Victorian period homes are small to medium in size. If you want to expand your property to fit your growing family, building a home extension separate from the main foundation of your house is the most practical solution.
- Transform old basements: Old basements that are often not used can be converted into a functional room such as a family room or a game room that your family can enjoy.
- Upgrade the bathrooms: Period home bathrooms such as Victorian style ones are commonly cramped, antiquated and designed for communal use, while bedrooms were not built with bathrooms. Renovate the bathrooms to make them look modern and bigger or add new ones such as a powder room or an ensuite.
- Kitchen & living room upgrade: Open space layout is not common with period homes. Updating your kitchen by tearing down walls to accommodate modern furniture and appliances while integrating them with the living room is perfect to make a small area look more spacious.
What to Look For in a Period Home Builder for Melbourne
Period homes can be tricky to extend or renovate due to the outdated features, fixtures and layout – that’s why it’s necessary to hire a period home builder to work with you to achieve your dream period home renovation. When searching for a period home builder in Melbourne, make sure that:
- They are experienced in building and renovating: Renovation and house extension is different from constructing a new home. There are more things to consider, such as whether the design elements will complement the original home or how to preserve the original foundation of the house.
- Portfolio of previous work: Checking the reviews and references on the builder’s previous work is essential to get an idea of their professionalism and if it fits your standard.
- Easy to reach: Keeping the communication lines open is one of the most important factors in ensuring that both of you are on the same page and that you’ll have peace of mind knowing you can easily reach them whenever you have any concerns.
Period Home Extensions and Renovations Melbourne
Though it’s nice to preserve the beauty of period homes – more often than not, our everyday living requires more space and functionality. Period home renovations and extensions are great ways to have additional space to support modern-day living while still maintaining their old-world charm.
Period renovations in Melbourne are prevalent as the city has quite a collection of various kinds of period homes. Some of the benefits of extending or renovating your period home include:
- Updating the layout of the home: Since period homes were designed during a time when furniture and appliances were basic, the layout, floor plan, and the entire flow of the space often doesn’t suit the needs of a modern household. Hence, renovating your period home to fit your current needs is usually a must.
- Improve home security: Times have changed, and so is the amount of security we need. Gone are the days when we didn’t need to lock the doors or windows. Renovating a period home gives you the chance to upgrade its security.
- Upgrade functionality: One of the main reasons to renovate a period home is to improve its functionality. Changing the layout or floor plan, adding new lighting fixtures, or building second storey extensions are just some ways to upgrade functionality.
- Boost the value of the home: If you’re thinking of selling your period home, it’s highly recommended to do some renovations or extensions to increase its overall value.
Period Style Home Builders & Renovation Experts Melbourne
When looking for reliable period style home builders in Melbourne, there are many reasons why you would consult Mass Constructions. We specialise in designing and building ground floor and second storey house extensions across the south east Melbourne suburbs, including with period homes.
We are one of the several period home builders in Melbourne that have experience extending and renovating heritage homes.
Mass Constructions understands the complexity and delicate process of period home renovations. Our goal is to design and build high-quality custom house extensions and renovations.
Federation Style Home Builders and Extension Experts Melbourne
The intricate woodwork of Federation style homes, together with the existence of a chimney, elaborate verandah and roof detailing, are just some of the distinct features of Federation style homes.
Mass Constructions is one of the trusted federation style home builders in the Melbourne region that specialises in extending and renovating period style homes. We understand what it takes to extend or renovate a Federation style home to match or complement the existing structure.
Contact Mass Constructions for Period Home Renovations Melbourne
For period home renovations in Melbourne, contact Mass Constructions for a consultation. We have been in the business of renovating and extending period style homes for over a decade. We always work hard to listen to our customers and bring their renovation dreams alive, with open lines of communication and a friendly service.
We understand the importance of designing and building an extension or renovation that will help not only enhance the overall look of a home but will also improve its functionality to cater to the needs of the homeowner.