Alfresco Ideas and Extensions Guide by Mass Constructions
Wanting to have an alfresco area but don’t have the space? Then a secondary home extension is just what you might need. A home extension allows you to enjoy more space without moving houses. Outdoor living is embedded in Australian culture and the weather is also perfect for enjoying some outdoor lounging – having an alfresco living space is one way to enjoy the awesome Melbourne weather.
Mass Constructions specialise in home extension and home renovation projects. Talk to us now so we can give you alfresco ideas and home extension designs that will complement your existing home.
Modern Alfresco Extension Ideas For South East Melbourne
Modern alfresco ideas are all about integrating the inside and outside of your property. It is about enjoying the outside view in your extended living spaces while incorporating it into your indoor space. Below are some modern alfresco design tips for your home extension:
- Connected space: Typically, you want to design an alfresco space that is linked to your indoor space. This can be done by going for a large folding or sliding door that fully retracts. Making the floor heights of the inside and the outside the same will create the effect that your alfresco extension is part of your living area.
- Size: Think of what will be the use of your alfresco to determine how big it should be. Whether it will be a multi-function room, a place to host friends or a lounge space to spend your lazy afternoons, the options are limitless.
- Make it adaptable to weather: You’ll get the most out of your alfresco extension if you can use it throughout the year, no matter what the weather might be. During warmer days, it’s nice to have a ceiling fan and during the colder season in Melbourne, a fireplace is ideal.
- Type of lighting: Lighting is a crucial element that can set the mood of your alfresco extension. There’s no need for bright lights, but rather lights that can help create a relaxing atmosphere.
- Decorating: Your alfresco area is intended to be a space where you can relax and chill. Opt for materials with a natural finish and textures such as timber and stone to complement the inside living space. Be sure to choose furniture that can withstand any type of weather, especially in Melbourne where there are four seasons in one day.
Alfresco Enclosure Ideas For Entertaining
If you love hosting get-togethers then an alfresco extension is an excellent addition to your home since it allows you and your loved ones to hang out, no matter what the weather is. Check these alfresco enclosure ideas out and you may find one that suits your home:
- Black & White: You can never go wrong with this classic colour combination to give your alfresco extension a fresh and modern feel. Add some potted plants and rattan furniture for that tropical feel.
- All white: Set up an airy and bright feel with an all-white alfresco enclosure giving a positive shine that feels serene and welcoming. If you have the budget, a glass overhead is perfect to create an illusion of more space. It also allows you and your guests to enjoy the view of the sky.
- Modern look: If you like minimalist design with clean lines and a polished look, then you can opt for smooth porcelain flooring with floor to ceiling windows. Throw in an l-shape couch and caved-in lighting and it’s perfect. This works great in a secondary extension project where you can perfectly enjoy the view.
Outdoor Alfresco Ideas for Melbourne’s Climate
Opting for an outdoor alfresco extension is a smart way to take advantage of the Melbourne weather. Enjoy a nice barbecue with friends or a chill Saturday afternoon hang out. Below are some outdoor alfresco ideas perfect for the Melbourne weather.
- Place near the pool area: Enjoy lounging around in your pool area even with the scorching heat of the sun or when it’s drizzling by constructing a shaded alfresco area.
- Rustic beauty: An alfresco extension in your garden with wooden outdoor furniture gives off the rustic vibe perfect for hosting dinner with friends or intimate events.
- Minimalist rooftop: If you’re adding a second storey extension, why not add a rooftop outdoor alfresco area as well? It’s a great way to maximise your space and the perfect spot to host late-night drinks as well.
- Outdoor room with a nice view: A second storey extension with an outdoor alfresco furnished with a day bed and partially shaded, great for lounging around reading a book or binge-watching your favourite show.
Alfresco Area Ideas to Consider With House Extensions
Want to make the most out of the great Melbourne summer weather? There’s no better way to do it than with an alfresco area. A perfectly constructed alfresco extension complemented with high-quality furniture will definitely add style and value to your home while you enjoy some sunlight and fresh air. Here are some alfresco area ideas to inspire you to build an alfresco extension.
- Indoor/outdoor alfresco extension: If you like having guests over, an indoor/outdoor alfresco extension makes it easier. Just build one off the kitchen or dining area so you can still be part of the conversation while prepping food and drinks.
- Second storey alfresco extension: If you’re building a second storey extension, you might as well include an alfresco area. It’s a great spot to relax especially if you’ve got a view. Do some stargazing or enjoy a cup of tea as you wind things down at night.
- Porch extension: A classic alfresco area idea. Install a swing and placed potted plants and fairy lights, and you’ve got yourself a romantic vibe. You can opt for an open porch or screened porch, which is perfect for the Melbourne weather.
- Outdoor kitchen for BBQ weekends: A barbecue party is a traditional Melbourne event during summertime, so it’s mandatory to have an outdoor kitchen ready for those get-togethers. And having an alfresco kitchen is a great way to entertain guests while you do some grilling.
Enclosed Alfresco Ideas
An enclosed alfresco will offer you added sanctuary and privacy where you can have a get-together or just lounge around on a lazy Saturday afternoon. Extensions built directly into your home or small gazebos are some of the options.
- Alfresco BBQ Ideas: From the wide range of BBQ grills and bar fridges to single/double sinks and storage modules, the alfresco BBQ ideas to choose from are endless. Adding some overhead shelves will help you maximise the space or place some potted plants to add flare to the space.
- Alfresco Kitchen Ideas: Cooking and eating al fresco in beautiful summer weather is a nice activity to do with friends and loved ones. Some alfresco kitchen ideas you can try are sleek, timeless, and practical options such as neutral colours and functional pieces that serve a purpose, and will also blend seamlessly with the theme of your alfresco kitchen.
- Small Alfresco Ideas: If you have a small floor space but still want to enjoy the outdoor by having an alfresco extension, we can still make it work. Some of the small alfresco ideas that you can try are opting for moveable seating furniture that can easily be moved whenever you need more space. Placing a hammock is also a space saver and a classic outdoor addition.
Alfresco Roof Ideas
For homes with flat roofs, an alfresco roof extension is a perfect way to utilise an otherwise wasted space. There are numerous ways you can spruce up your roof deck with the kind of shading you choose. Here are some alfresco roof ideas to inspire you:
- Alfresco Ceiling Ideas: When deciding which alfresco ceiling ideas to choose, make sure it suits the current design of your home, and how you utilise your alfresco extension. Louvered roofs are one of the most popular alfresco ceiling ideas because of their flexibility. If you have the budget, you can have it customised so you can open and close it depending on the weather.
Alfresco Design Ideas That Will Inspire You
A home extension is a great way to elevate the look of your current home and at the same time create new space – especially if you have a growing family or you just want additional space for leisure. Creating an alfresco area is one type of home renovation you can do, which is the perfect space to host parties or have your Sunday BBQ in.
There are literally hundreds of alfresco design ideas you can draw inspiration from when planning your home extension. Check out below for some ideas to try:
- Alfresco Tiles Ideas: Checkerboard tile flooring is one of the classic and timeless alfresco tiles ideas that give a breathtaking effect and is the perfect choice if you love a classic design with a twist. The earthy and soft look of limestone tile on the other hand makes it a distinct choice for the outdoors. It’s low maintenance and perfect for an alfresco extension near a pool.
- Alfresco Decking Ideas: A deck is a multi-functional space that can serve a lot of purposes. Some alfresco decking ideas include an outdoor kitchen where you can cook and entertain guests at the same time or an outdoor fire pit for a cozy outdoor vibe.
- Alfresco Wall Ideas: Every little detail of your alfresco extension matters – even the walls. There are a lot of alfresco wall ideas you can draw inspiration from to ensure that you also utilise your alfresco wall. Decorate it with lots of greenery to complement the nice Melbourne weather or paint it all white to achieve the minimalist look.
- Alfresco Door Ideas: If you prefer to have an enclosed alfresco, choosing a door is also vital in ensuring that it goes well with the overall look of your home. Some alfresco door ideas are the basic single-hinged door, which is perfect when there’s only a small opening between the indoor and outdoor space. Another type of door you can use is bi-fold doors, which requires sturdy structural support since it is hung from the top. This type of door gives off the illusion of having a larger indoor space because it connects your indoor and outdoor living space.
- Alfresco Flooring Ideas: Flooring is another major thing you need to consider with your alfresco extension. We can help you choose from some of the best alfresco flooring ideas which one will suit your alfresco space. One of the most versatile flooring in terms of appearance is the composite wood-look flooring, which is perfect if you want to achieve a rustic vibe. Ceramic and porcelain tiles are also classic options that provide you with a lot of design options. It is also cost-effective and easy to maintain.
- Alfresco Lighting Ideas: When it comes to alfresco lighting ideas, the sky is your limit. The type of lighting you choose will ultimately determine the kind of vibe you want for your alfresco home extension. String lights create the perfect summer vibe and paired with some lanterns, you’ll be able to achieve an alfresco candlelight glow. An outdoor led light, on the other hand, can serve as a striking wall accent piece, especially when paired with other wall art.
Contact Mass Constructions for Alfresco Extension Ideas
If you’ve got a lot of alfresco extension ideas but don’t know where to start, contact Mass Constructions now and we’ll help you get started. From planning and design to construction and sourcing of materials, we’ll guide you every step of the way.
Our team of experienced and highly professional construction professionals have a combined experience of over 50 years so you’re definitely in good hands. We treat each project as a special project but maintain a professional approach to ensure that each project reflects your personal style and taste.
Mass Constructions specialise in home renovations and home extensions, specifically secondary home extensions. We are one of the most trusted custom builders in Melbourne and we’ll make your alfresco extension idea a reality. So what are you waiting for? Book a free consultation now.